Letter from Head Teacher Mr Corrin regarding School Uniform:
We would recommend that all School Uniform orders are placed with the below suppliers by the end of May to ensure that they are able to order in bulk and collate orders in time for issue before the new school year in September.
School Uniform for Years 7 - 11
- Black, plain school trousers (for all years) of a suitable, formal design. Skinny trousers, leggings, jeans, or any other non-formal trouser styles are not acceptable
- Navy blue or black, plain or pleated school uniform skirt. Please ensure that the skirt sits no more than one inch above your child’s knee and is a formal school skirt - not lycra or tight fitting
- White shirt with collar suitable for wearing a tie
- BHS school tie - colour-coded for each House
- Navy school blazer with BHS badge
- Plain, black, smart shoes with no obvious logo
- Plain navy, black, or white socks, or plain black tights
- Jumper (optional) - navy, plain V-necked
- Students will be provided with a lanyard to hold their smartcards. This is a part of the school uniform, and is colour-coded for each year group.
- Hooded tops are not permitted
- Coats or outerwear must be removed whilst in the school building. All garments must be clearly marked with the owner’s name so that they can be returned if lost. Parents are strongly advised not to send children to school in expensive coats as we regularly have a number of coats left in Lost Property, unclaimed by the students.
- Navy blue Ballakermeen polo shirt (compulsory)
- Navy blue Ballakermeen Rugby shirt (boys) or Ballakermeen zipped top (boys or girls)
- Navy blue shorts/skort/leggings
- Navy blue football socks
- Training shoes
- Football boots (boys)
- Swimming costume/shorts/jammers
- Swimming goggles
- Swimming cap or bobble for those with long hair
The following are permitted:
- A plain ring that can be worn on one hand
- Years 10 and 11 are allowed a minimal amount of concealing foundation discreetly applied
- One small plain stud worn in either or both ears
- One breakable chain to be worn inside top clothing
- Any other piercings should be removed or covered
- Years 10 and 11 can wear a single colour of nail varnish
- Extremes of hairstyle are not allowed (if in doubt, please ask in advance)
- One small stud worn in nose
For reasons of health and safety:
- All jewellery must be removed during P.E. lessons
- Long hair must always be tied back/up in all lessons when practical activities take place
- Long natural or acrylic nails must be cut to a safe length to avoid injury
Sixth Form Uniform:
|Blazers and Sweatshirts:
|Blazers and sweatshirts are available from Promenade Shirts & Embroidery: www.promenadeschoolwear.com/. These items may be purchased either via the online order form or in store at the shop on Queen's Promenade, Douglas, or by telephoning 620777.
If you buy a plain blazer from another shop, the school has a supply of sew-on badges for £3.00 each (cheque or cash). Both ties and badges may be ordered online via ParentPay for those set up to use this facility.
|Ballakermeen sell school ties for £6.00 each (cheque or cash). School ties are coloured according to the House Team in which your child has been placed. We will let you know which colour tie you require in advance of the Year 6 Induction Day, during which ties that have been ordered and paid for will be issued.
Both ties and badges may be ordered online via ParentPay for those set up to use this facility.
Apart from official school ties, sew-on badges for blazers, and replacement lanyards, Ballakermeen does not sell items of school uniform. There is however a Uniform Swap Shop, which runs at regular times during the school holidays and is available for you to come along and pick up some 'good as new' donated and washed uniform. The school's Facebook page is updated to show you when the next one is taking place, but if your need is urgent please contact Mr Mitchell via: BHSenquiries@sch.im
|Branded Unisex P.E. kit is available from Dangerous Apparel Ltd: www.dangerousapparel.co.uk/ballakermeen.
These items may be purchased either via the online order form or by returning an order form directly to Dangerous Apparel along with a cheque payment.
The navy blue Ballakermeen polo shirt is the only compulsory branded item. All other items may be either plain navy blue or Ballakermeen branded. No other brands will be accepted. As long as students wear their Ballakermeen polo shirt on top, they may layer other clothing underneath.
Although not compulsory, we strongly advise that students wear the appropriate safety equipment for each activity e.g. shin-pads, gum shield, and appropriate footwear.